Political Rights


Swiss abroad have a right to vote by letter on federal matters since July 1, 1992. They need to be registered on an electoral roll with a Swiss representation to exercise their right to vote.


As a Swiss national living abroad you are not only entitled to take part in elections to the National Council (active right to vote) but also to be elected to the National Council, the Federal Council and the Federal Tribunal (passive right to vote). On the other hand, you may only take part in the election of the States' Council if the cantonal law stipulates that Swiss living abroad have the right to vote. The following cantons offer the right of vote in cantonal matters to the Swiss abroad: Aargau, Bern, Basel-Land, Fribourg, Geneva, Grisons, Jura, Neuchâtel, Schwyz, Solothurn, and Ticino (solely for the citizens with place of origin Ticino). Notwithstanding the fact that the two cantons Zurich and Basel-Stadt do not grant the Swiss abroad the right to vote on cantonal matters, they may still take part in the election of the Council of States.


If you are in Switzerland when voting or elections take place, you can also take part either by letter or personally by dropping your vote into the ballot-box in your polling commune. If you would also like to obtain your polling material yourself you can, on condition that you send a written application to your polling commune in good time (at least six weeks prior to the next vote or election).


Moreover, the law entitles you to sign your commune's signature lists concerning federal initiatives and requests for referendums at the federal level. Place of residence: Swiss abroad indicate their foreign address, specifying country and community.


Additional information:



Explore Switzerland

Malans vineyard


Strategic Partners



Gazzetta Svizzera