• SwissCommunity news

OSA advice

29.01.2016 – OSA Legal Department

I’m planning to return to Switzerland and to look for a job there. What advice and information can you give me?

As a Swiss citizen you can work in Switzerland without the need for a permit. If you wish to apply for jobs in Switzerland, you should be aware that submitting a CV is generally not enough. Swiss employers expect a full application. That includes a letter of application specific to the job, a CV with a photograph as well as references of employment and copies of qualifications.

The State Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) publishes brochures containing valuable advice on this topic on its website.

There are no official rules on the translation of documents, such as degree certificates or other qualifications. If a document might be important in determining whether or not you are offered a job, it may be worth enclosing a translation in one of the national languages.

The Consular Directorate (CD) of the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA) provides a special service for the Swiss Abroad for the job search itself where it forwards job applications to the cantonal employment offices for the attention of the regional job centres in your preferred regions. Here your application is made available to any interested employers.

A list of links to job sites and employment offices can be found on the website of the Organisation of the Swiss Abroad.

As soon as you are registered in Switzerland and have your permanent residence here, your local employment office can also help you to look for jobs.

SECO: > Publikationen > Bewerbungen

Consular Directorate: > Living abroad > ­returning to Switzerland > Seeking employment in Switzerland

Organisation of the Swiss Abraod: > Consultation > back to Switzerland > how to find a job

OSA’s Legal Department provides general legal information on Swiss law, in particular in the areas that concern the Swiss Abroad. It does not provide information on foreign law and does not intervene in disputes between private parties.