• SwissCommunity

OSA advice


Acquaintances tell me that the divorced former wives of Swiss citizens can receive a widows’ pension after the death of their ex-husband. I’m 80 and living abroad. If I’m in this situation, can I apply for a widows’ pension?

Yes, if you haven’t remarried in the meantime, you may be entitled to a widows’ pension under certain conditions. These conditions are laid down in law as follows: If you are divorced and your former spouse dies, you are entitled to receive a widows’ pension if you have children and you were married for at least ten years, or if you were over 45 when you divorced and you were married for at least ten years, or if your youngest child will turn 18 after you have reached the age of 45. If you satisfy none of these requirements, you are entitled to a widows’ pension until your youngest child turns 18.

Source: The AHV/IV information centre in association with the Federal Social Insurance Office

Applications should be made directly to the Swiss Compensation Office in Geneva: Swiss Compensation Office (SCO); OASI Benefits, Av. Edmond-Vaucher 18, P.O. Box 3100, CH-1211 Genf 2, Switzerland. Tel.: +41 58 461 91 11, Fax: +41 58 461 97 05 

OSA’s Legal Department provides general legal information on Swiss law, in particular in the areas that concern the Swiss Abroad. It does not provide information on foreign law and does not intervene in disputes between private parties.